Sunday, January 25, 2009

Seed swapping - A new addiction!

What better way to pass the time during the bitter, gray cold of January than to get a jumpstart on this year's garden, by gathering seed. Especially fun is seed-swapping - I'm like a kid when the mail comes and I find a packet from a seed swap!

I traded seed for the first time last year and now I'm hooked.

I participate in 2 sites for gardeners and have had great luck making trades. I've shared seed with 10 trading partners and am thrilled with the new seed I've received:

Flowers - nasturtium, foxglove, lobelia, violas and the one I'm most excited about, Teddy Bear Sunflowers.

Herbs - oregano, lavender, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, chamomile.

Veggies/fruits - pac choi, sugar snap peas, kale, escarole, salad burnet, aragula, tomatoes and watermelon.

I don't really NEED anymore...but if you're reading this and interested in a swap, I'm open to more trades! I have available:
*Heirlooms purchased from Baker Creek in 2008: Bloody Butcher tomatoes,Chadwick Cherry tomatoes, Plum Lemon tomatoes, Waltham 29 Broccoli, Love-lies-bleeding amaranth, Five-color Silverbeet Swiss Chard, and Lemon squash (summer).
*Also seed I saved in 2008: dill, cilantro, morning glories, lemon basil, and komatsuna.

I'm interested in spinach, heirloom tomatoes, herbs, melons, and flowers....just let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...