Thursday, July 24, 2008

So this is Okra

I've never grown okra before, though I do remember when I was a kid and Dad sent me out to weed the garden, and I pulled out the okra seedlings thinking they were weeds! I thought the whole row was supposed to be green beans....oops! Daddy wasn't mad - pretty frustrated - but not mad.

I love both pickled and fried okra, so I got seed for both Burgundy Okra and Perkins Long Pod Okra. It's obvious which is the burgundy...and the Perkins is HUGE. I had hoped to have at least 3 of each - having no idea how much is needed to feed the three of us. As it turned out 2 of the Perkins and 1 Burgundy survived, so we'll see how that works this year and I can adjust next year.














Sunset this evening from the southeast corner of my garden. I love the peaceful time just before the sun goes down out in the gardens.

1 comment:

Sloane's Creations said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I am growing burgundy okra as well...I have 6 plants but only pluck a few a day off so I stash them in the fridge and then saute them in a bit of olive oil, sea salt, and garlic. Sometimes I clean them up and pop them in a freezer bag whole to use in soups over the winter.
I was checkin' out your profile and I to am a HowTo book lover...a few years ago I did a mosaic over my stoop...check it out..
My Stoop
Happy Gardening, Sloane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...