Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tomatoes and other garden goodness

I've picked a handful of tomatoes already - not because they were ripe - though they were getting close. I picked them because they were SO close and the worms and bugs were attacking! I decided to pluck them a few days early and take them inside where they might finish ripening without being totally destroyed. It won't be long and there will be baskets-full of them, but I can hardly wait til then. The raised beds of my kitchen garden are getting full and pretty, though it rains so often I can't keep up with all the trimming, mowing and weeding that needs to be done. Among the beds you can see broccoli, edamame, squash, peppers, tomatoes, onions, chives, and maybe the okra and cucumbers. There's also tomatillos, dill, cilantro, radishes, lettuce, swiss chard, komatsuna, corn, amaranth, hyssop, marigolds, nasturtiums, watermelon and cantaloupe.

These Lemon plum tomatoes are heavy-laden with fruit! I haven't grown these before, and am amazed out how well they've done.
The nasturtiums are there by design - to help repel bugs. And the bottle is painted yellow inside to attract aphids and other munchers. Then I coated it in petroleum jelly so that at least the tiny insects will get stuck! I have a few different sizes and shapes of jars and bottles in varying shades of orange and yellow throughout the tomatoes - hoping to alleviate some of the bug damage.

My catnip bloomed this year, and our outside kitty loves it! Not very exciting blooms, but I like it anyway.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...