Sunday, January 20, 2008

Seed Love

I won't let the frigid temps keep ME from digging in the dirt! I stumbled across the fabulous wintersown web site on Thursday - on Friday I purchased some seed-starting medium - on Saturday I assembled my containers and planted Poppies, Lupine, Black-eyed Susans, Hollyhocks, Broccoli and Cauliflower. I want to do some Chard, Leeks, Onions, Chives, Larkspur and more, but need to gather more containers first. I think I must be in the same boat with all the other first-time wintersowers out there - proceeding with a mix of excited anticipation and fear of failure.

Look at my beautiful seed packets! I've added all 40-some varieties that I've purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds to my 2008 garden list today, along with listing a nice-sized stash of seeds I either bought from one place or another last year, or saved from my own garden. I'm a list-maker by nature, so this helps me feel like I've got my ducks lined up and ready to go!

I'll still be starting some seed under lights indoors. Mid-February I will start my peppers, followed by tomatoes in early March, and I'll probably experiment with wintersowing for a few tomato seeds just to see what happens. The more I can start outdoors, the better! If you have experience wintersowing - or are trying it for the first time like me, leave me a comment so we can compare notes! FYI, I'm in zone 6.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...